Search Online

Custom Search

Friday, June 3, 2011

Dragon Age 2 Review

As it turns out this game doesn't continue the story you left behind in Dragon Age Origins. I mean I get it that one it's over when I followed Morrigan into the damn mirror, but what about their kid. Anyway, the game tells a new story, based on the events and turnouts from the first game, you are Hawk, a new hero who runs from the Blight to build his legend in a new city build for this dragon age universe. As you play the missions and side-missions you get to meet some important characters from the first game.
Now let's see some comparison and ties to Dragon Age Origins. My gameplay on DAO was over 70 gours just the main game and over 75 hours with addons. In DA2 main game I played a little over 35 hours until the end of it - that is a little short, so it's a minus for me. You can romance everyone except Sebastien, if you are a guy, the addon prince and party member. Since you can romance almost everyone, it's a little too gay for me, but I got over it. I romanced Isabela, since she is so yummy compared to the last time I saw her In DAO and let her live.(and no I didn't do threesome with her and Leliana). In DAO you are the hero of Ferelden, so you have many many places to visit with interesting landscapes - three or four cities, and many other places. In DA2 you have Kirkwall and some 3 or 4 other places outside the city - that is a BIG minus. Believe me, you will get tired of running around in the same places over and over - just because you can visit them at day or at night, it doesn't make it any better - I really hope that any addon that follows will be a new nice place to visit. So it's on a way smaller scale than DAO. I counted about 8 characters in the party, and they are never all active. If you decide to let Anders live, some of the characters will turn on you. I got two of them turned on me when I let Anders live. Sebastien just walked away and swear revenge and Fenris took Meredith side, just to change side back with me before the final battle. Does anyone see the resemblance between Meredith and Flemeth - the evil dragon turning witch? I do. Needless to say that after this story Hawk and Isabel remained together, all the others just took their own road, just like in DAO. And since I mentioned this, you get to have some small episodes with team characters from DAO, that's right. I can tell for sure I met Zevran, Alistair and Leliana, and other unimportant episodic characters or related to main characters from DAO - That is definitely a big plus for DA2 which keeps things interesting and mysterious as "some big thing it's going on" that will reunite all the heroes including the Warden of Ferelden and the Hero of Kirkwall. Wouldn't it be nice to see all the big important surviving characters together all at once. This story ends by taking a side between Templars and Mages. As usually things are not black and white, but very "Grey". No matter with what side you're with you will still battle the both, since The Mages leader will transform in an abomination in a desperate act to fight the templars, thus needed to be killed (blood magic and all) and Meredith, the templar leader, turn out she is possessed by an ancient relic from DeepRoads, thus she must be killed. And with this ending, it appears that a precedent was created and all the circles rebelled against the templars on the territory.
With all this being said, I will come back with some reviews on addons on DA2.



SCORES

Graphics - 10 (Nvidia 3D Vision - 9)

Gameplay - 9

Feeling - 8

Story - 10

Size - 1 dvd-dl

TOTAL 9

Status: putting aside all the minuses, buy it, play it, wait for the addons, play it for fun, and please take many pauses and drink a lot of water to calm you down. Wait for more addons as Dragon Age 3 will make it's arrival date known soon. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search the Web

Custom Search